Friday 31 January 2014

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

Happy Chinese New Year! Today marks the start of the Year of the Horse.

Today I wore red as that is a lucky colour, I ate noodles as they represent longevity, or long life, I haven't used a broom or dustpan and brush, so as not to sweep any good luck away, and I haven't used any knives or scissors either, which is considered to be bad luck. I'm not particularly superstitious but these are traditional customs that I've grown up with. Also, I figure that I can do with as much luck and good fortune that I can muster for this year!

I can't really believe that it's the end of January already. I've had a pretty good month actually, despite all this cold and rainy weather we've been having. Seriously, can it please stop raining soon? I've managed to have an alcohol-free January apart from 2 nights, one being a good friend's birthday night out and the other was an evening with some other friends. I feel so much better for it, especially as in the run up to Christmas and New Year I was out drinking most nights. Hopefully the break has been good for my liver and overall health.

Speaking of health, although I haven't managed to stick to my diet (in fact today I have already eaten 8 chocolates) I have been really good and have been exercising at least twice a week for the last month. I've lost the weight that I put on over Christmas, and hopefully will now be on track to lose the final 4kg. I know this last bit will be the hardest to lose, but I am determined to get rid of it over the next couple of months. I'm going to up the exercise, and next week, after the Chinese New Year celebrations, get back to being a little bit stricter with the diet. To be honest, I would rather do more exercise and still be able to enjoy my food, but I know that it will help if I can stop eating the chocolates!

I feel like I'm almost ready to go back into the world of dating again. I know I can't let this year pass me by in a haze of moping about and wanting to be with the wrong person again. Hopefully, my self confidence will be boosted with the extra weight loss and going out on social events will put me in the path of other like-minded people. Even if nothing romantic happens, I am going to have fun and enjoy my life because life is short... It's a New Year, New Start, New Me.

Tomorrow I have family celebrations and over the next few months I have lots of lovely special occasions to look forward to. I do wish that I had someone in my life to share these things with, but I know that will happen in time. For now, I am truly thankful and blessed to have my family and friends around me.

To anyone else out there that is feeling a bit down or depressed, things will get better. You just have to believe it, and in yourself.

Wishing everyone a very happy and prosperous Chinese New Year.
Mei x

No comments:

Post a Comment