Saturday 4 January 2014

Warning - Orogold Cosmetics

Today I was making the most of my last Saturday off before going back to work after the festive holidays. I went to Oxford Street. Was I out of my mind? Quite possibly. I went with the intention of having a look at the sales and picking up some bargains but the crowds of people were really annoying and I couldn't find anything in my size so I gave up. I ended up wandering down New Bond Street, which was considerably less crowded, and with the rain starting up again, I found myself strolling along quite happily until a man suddenly said to me,  'Would you like a sample of our face cream?' and thrust a small white sachet into my hand.

I was quite startled, but as I love skincare products and toiletries, I was immediately intrigued. I looked up at the shop and didn't recognise the name, Orogold. The salesman had already started talking to me and complimenting me on my skin and asked if I would like to try the product. I should have said no, but as I wasn't busy, I thought why not and followed him into the very empty shop. He demonstrated this exfoliating peel on my hand, which seemed very impressive as it appeared to rub off loads of dead skin, and followed this with a moisturiser. Then, the hard sell - the products were beautifully packaged and came with a hefty price tag - £100 and £129 respectively for the exfoliator and moisturiser. I immediately said no, as that is way out of my price budget, and as I have very sensitive skin, I never buy anything too expensive without thorough research and sampling.

His initial response to my negative answer was, you're shopping on Bond Street, it can't be too expensive for you. Then he tried to lower the prices of the products and offering me special discounted deals if I bought certain bundles of products. Again, I kept saying no. He even took 2 boxes over to the till to show me the special amazing price I'd pay today. When I tried to leave, he showed me their 'salon' where customers have facials and beauty treatments and tried to talk me into having a half price facial.

He was very pushy and rude, trying to make out that he was offering me something really special that is not offered to all customers. He was certainly very complimentary, and I do understand that he is a salesman and this is his job, but that made me even more determined not to buy anything from him, or this brand ever.

When I got home, I searched on the internet for reviews about this brand, and I've come across mixed reviews. There are glowing reports extolling the virtues of these creams and lotions, and then there are some downright scary reviews, which makes me feel sorry for customers who got sucked into buying these products. The exfoliating peel apparently contains some kind of glue like ingredient, which doesn't take a scientist to figure out that what happens is similar to when you were a kid playing with PVA glue sticking things together and a bit almost dries on your skin and you rub it off and it's a little ball of gluey stuff. I'm not saying it's not a good product, but to be honest I'd rather save my £100 and spend a little on something else that is about the product and not the packaging and most of all, does not pay the pushy and aggressive salespeople that work for this brand.

So be warned not to get sucked into these shops, or engage in conversation with these salespeople. I've read a number of horror stories now and am glad that I managed to get out of the shop without buying anything. I did not expect these kinds of aggressive sales tactics from such an alleged high end brand, with a shop on New Bond Street! You have been warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment